Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In His Own Time

Sunday, June 5th, 2011 Benjamin James Bonacci came all by himself ( which seems to be a familiar theme around here).

 Sunday morning I refused to go to church knowing that all I would hear were people saying things like  "really hoping not to see you today" and being almost 42 weeks pregnant I just couldn't take it. So I stayed home. I had been having contractions on and off but nothing to get excited about. I had already been bumped twice from my induction time due to the high volume of pregnant women in labor and the fact that I the over all health of the baby and myself was good. I was reassured that they wouldn't let me go past Tuesday (the date on which I was officially 42 weeks) but that gave me little comfort because Tuesday was still two days away. But then something wonderful happened. As I sat and watched the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie I began to have stronger contractions which became more regular. The best part about it was that they didn't stop! By 8:15pm that evening we were heading to the hospital! NO INDUCTION NEEDED!!!!
 By the time we got to the hospital they were 2-3 mins apart and I was dilated to a 4. They had me walk around for an hour to see if they could get things going. So I walked from 9-10pm and it worked like a charm. By the time I got back into bed I was at a 6. My midwife wasn't there and neither was the anesthesiologist, both had to be called in. My midwife got there at 10:30pm and I was at an 8. All the nurses hustled to get ready for a faster then expected delivery. My midwife, Betsie, went to break my water but found that it was already broken. Then she told me that it was pushing time. That was when the epidural guy got there at 10:55pm. No time for an epidural, I had to push.  Let me tell you, natural child birth is not for wimps!!! Had I not practiced yoga and knew how to breathe properly I think I would have had a much harder time(thank you Amber!) It was the most intense hour of my life. The contractions were so intense that pushing actually felt good. It felt better to be able to push against the contractions than to breath through them. So I pushed and pushed and Ben was born at 11:01pm Sunday night.
  Labor was not only intense for me but it was for Ben too. He swallowed a lot of fluid so he came out grunting and had to be taken to get suctioned out in the nursery, but he is just fine. He came out looking a little stunned and I understood because I was feeling a little stunned myself. We were both schell shocked. Ben weighed 8.4lbs and was 22 inches long.

  We are thrilled to have Ben in our family. Matt and I both feel that our family feels more complete with Ben in our lives.We are loving every grunt, squeak, and sweet baby smell that comes out of him! So far he eats, sleeps and poops just like he should. He is a great sleeper and eats a ton! I can't keep up with him. Peter loves him and calls him "our baby". Every morning he wakes up and asks where our baby is and goes to find him so that he can give him a kiss. It is very sweet. I love my boys!

Matt's parents were here for 3 weeks before Ben got here. They could only stay and enjoy him for one more week before they had to head back up to NJ. We are so grateful for their help!  Had they not been here I surely would have been a depressed mess as we waited and waited for Ben to decide to come. They helped keep me busy and that is what I needed.  Now that they are gone Matt took the week off to stay home and help.  I am so glad he did because I have gotten pretty anemic and get really tired easily. I'm on Iron now so that helps a lot.

I am so glad that Ben decided to come on his own. We are so happy that he is here.


(Please ignore any typos you may find as I am pretty sleep deprived and will go back to edit better later....maybe)


8 comments:

Beverley Clement said...

So very happy all went well for you and Ben. Love your comment about how Peter is adjusting to being a big brother. Wishing all of you a life enriched by the Gospels and guided from above through the Holy Spirit. What a beautiful family!

Sunshine said...

Oh wow. That's was wonderful.Way to go. Mothers giving birth are truely superheros. Natural birth certainly isn't for wimps and kudos to you girl!!!! Your little family is too cute for words and I'm thrilled with Peter's adoration. Gives me hope for the big Brig. I'm SO So happy for you that he came on his own too. Petocin and natural childbirth is for the insane, not impossible just insane.

Missy and Nick said...

So happy for you and your family Kristen! I'm glad you are both happy and healthy!!! I hope I don't have to do natural childbirth. I am a wimp! :)

Emily H said...

Congratulations! Glad everything went well...good things are worth the wait!

Sarah said...

Yay oh Yay!! I am so happy to hear everyone is healthy and safe. I am so happy for you! I love his name and I love you!!! Give him lots of love and kisses from me!

Becca said...

Go Ben go! I love him already and can't wait to meet him. you're a champ for hanging in there so long. Maybe you don't think you had a choice but I would have made up some excuse so they had to induce me before all those other preggos out there. But regardless of the timing, we're glad he's finally here to stay:)

Renee and Jake said...

Congrats!!!!!

AuD Jen said...

hey i recently updated my blogg too... well in the process. so check it out - Oh and I feel the same way you did... fat and prego... and emotional and crying all the time. i SO can't wait for john to get back cause that is what i cry most about. hang in their my beautiful sister!